Thursday, October 28, 2010

I said, dilemma.


Recently, I seem to have more passion towards Buddhism, I attended a few ativities under KDUBSC and I assuming myself to have benefited quite a lot from it. Maybe you will think that participating in activites like this isn't a big deal but for me it does. For person like me,who was quite resisting to religious-related things,I developed passion towards it once I took the chance to know it better.This is just like the philosophy of a relationship or life,where we dislike a person due to the reason that we never know him/her well, but once we try to know them,the situation changed, in a positive manner.

My problem now is that I don't know whether should I take the refuge under Buddha Dharma or not. To persuade myself to take the refuge, I appoached myself to the question sounds ''Why should we take the refuge under Buddha Dharma and what is the benefit for doing that?'' Geshela, a venerable resident teacher of a buddist society,LCD PJ, said that refuge has the power of multiplying our merits to 100 millions times, it somehow inlustrates that we will not be born into the hell in the 'coming-life' for sure (if you do believe in things like this).

'Journey to the hell' is not my main concern here, as I can really foresee the benefits of learning Buddhism in a proper manner, with the fact that there must be a reason for numerous believers out there and I, myself to a certain extent do have gotten something from it. Regardless of the merit we will obtain from it, I can only choose one among a number of beneficial religions around me, including my original religion, Taoism. Once, somebody asked Geshela can we still attach to our original religion after we have taking the refuge, and Geshela's answer was that when we already have something which is the best, and there is nothing better than ours, why should we approach the other ? So did my mother tell me before, she told me that when we already have something which is considered good to us and comfortable with, it is just enough to stick to one and put our faith on it whatsoever.

This has in fact worsen my situation, in the sense that when everyone is taking good about their own, which one should I choose? I know that I have to be ''loyal'' to only one of them, but I really can't make my decision now. Should I take the refuge and precepts under the Buddha Dharma without my parent's consent, given that I am sure they will not agree with me if I were to tell them the truth in the first place?However, I choose to believe that they will be thinking in a different manner if I were to prove to them that I am getting better with this 'new teaching'. Taking refuge is kind of a significant and transitional moment which may affect the rest of the life, at least to me personally, so I really need some guidances now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

me too.. actually there is one person who told me, why bother thinking so much? you would be able to release yourself from alot of bad karma. just take that offer!

but come to think twice, we should always be responsible with out actions. isn't it? afterall, we are talking about religion here, a lifetime commitment and the faith that would be instilled in us.

i can't find a conclusion myself.but i would certaintly be responsible for my choice which i bet you would too, cuz otherwise, you wont even bother worrying about it.

let's just say, the only difference between a 'reason' and an 'excuse' is only one thin line. even though you can come up with reasons such as, 'If i were to worship other God, I am merely allowing myself to discover more knowledge instead of following the religion blindly'.

if one is to think about the benefits of refuge, w/o being sincere about the choice, then i would say don't do it

: )

Chai HonG said...

Well said 'anonymous'...

My thought is that, if we were to get more knowledge about the religion, can't we just learn it by our own w/o taking the refuge? If the answer is no, does it mean that if I were to learn quite a few religions, then I have to undergo the similar process under each religion respectively??

And, what is the different of learning it as a 'student'(earning a Master or PhD of the religion) and to be a Geshe? Aren't they learning the same thing anyway?

sN@iL0810 said...

Religion is never an easy subject to ponder. Even the same religion will have people that are so much different from each other. Its just a label to ourself. At the end, what is important is your faith. Not the label that given to ur faith (i.e buddishm, christian etc.). You carry your faith to your afterlife, not ur religion.

Diego Miguel said...

I liked his way of thinking, lately I have also been searching for answers, solutions, peace and balance for me, I'm looking for what is good in many religions, particularly able to find many things in Buddhism, it was amazing and very interesting.
I worry about the well being of people everywhere, and always try to help as best as possible, like doing this, I feel good that I can in helping, but people often do not recognize my actions but I do not care the important thing is that I did something good, and I always try to do it, Buddhism has a lot of relations between the human being with himself and with others, where the answers are within yourself. I like that thought and I know I can learn many good things for my life and can transmit them to the environment where they live.

Chai HonG said...

Snail,
I am in the same view with you and I had raised it as an issue to some venerable one before, but the answer couldn't convince me...

Religion is indeed a label given to our faith, and also to a certain extend a platform to pratice our faith, one of the many platforms I shall say.

Anyway, I love your last quote '...You carry your faith to your afterlife, not ur religion.'